Sunday, May 23, 2010

Bittersweet Endings













I know it has been awhile since I have posted. I have been super busy. I had a final paper I had to finish an between my two jobs and the paper and my calling I haven't had anytime to just sit. So today I can finally breathe. It's almost summer. There are only 4 days left of school. A couple of weeks ago I decided I needed some change in my life. I knew that I couldn't make the changes I wanted to and still work both of my jobs. So after lots of hard decision making I told my boss Judy at the elementary school I work at that the last day of school would be my last day working. This was such a hard decision to make. I have put 2 years of hard work and lots of heart into this classroom. These kids have blessed my life so much and have brought me more joy in the last 2 years than anything else. Let me tell you about this classroom. There are 7 severely autistic kids in our classroom. Besides the teacher (Judy) there are 5 aides. Our classroom is very small and crowded. Judy, Patti (one of the other aides), and I have all been in this classroom from day one. When I started in this classroom none of us knew what it was going to be like. We all had experience working with autistic kids but never in a setting like the one we were being given. Our classroom was the first and only one like it in the district. Judy was a teacher in training and had only ever been an aide in a classroom before. So with the help of her aides we began molding a classroom. It has been a long journey for us. The majority of the 2 years I have been in this classroom we have had the same 7 kids with a few move ins and outs. These kids are beautiful in every way. It is impossible to spend time with them and not feel their love. For the most part none of them can talk. There are a few that can say a few words but you can't understand them unless you know what they are saying. I have many scars from being scratched and bit. I have wiped poopy butt after poopy butt. I have cleaned up extreme amounts of vomit. I have wiped tears, and given lots of hugs. I am going to miss these kids and and my coworkers so much. It is a bittersweet parting. In the fall I'm going to be going back to school full time. I will be working on becoming a Certified Occupational Therapists Assistant (COTA). A COTA is to and Occupational Therapist like a PA is to a doctor. I will basically be doing the same thing an Occupational Therapist does I will just make less money and work under the OT. So I'm excited. I will still have my job with Jayne which I am so grateful for. She will be my one last piece of the classroom that I can hang on to. A few months ago a professional photographer came and took pictures of our class. Above are a few of the shots she took.

1 comment:

  1. Woohoo! Congrats about the school choice! I'm excited for you! Be ready to work! I think a PTA would be better, but what can I say, I'm super biased! J/K, a COTA will be so awesome for you, especially if you do the majority of your work with kids since you have such an awesome background with them! Good luck Lauren! Let me know how its going!

    ReplyDelete